11.20.2011

White Bean and Sausage Rigatoni.

I'm pretty sure I don't even need to say "I found this wonderful recipe in my FAVORITE magazine, Anyone Can Cook" because just about everything I make comes from there.

So.

I found this wonderful recipe in my favorite magazine, Anyone Can Cook.

It's for baked pasta.

And if there's one thing I like to do, it's eat the shit out of some pasta.

WHITE BEAN AND SAUSAGE RIGATONI

INGREDIENTS:

-6 cups (or one box) dried rigatoni
-8 oz. cooked kielbasa
-1/2 of a 6 oz. can Italian-style tomato paste
-1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
-2 10 oz. packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
-2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic, undrained
1 15 oz. can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup grated or finely shredded Parmesan cheese



Preheat oven to 375F. Cook rigatoni according to package. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.



Cut kielbasa in half lengthwise, then cut into bite size pieces. In a small bowl, combine tomato paste and chicken broth.



Add kielbasa, tomato paste mixture, spinach, tomatoes, and beans to the rigatoni; stir to combine. Transfer to an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish.



Bake, covered, about 25 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Makes 6 to 8 servings.



NOTES:
-I used chicken broth instead of red wine.
-20 oz of spinach is way too much, IMO. Next time I think I would take it down to 10-12 oz.
-I couldn't find Great Northern beans at my grocery store. I went with standard "White Beans" and I loved it. Boyfriend wasn't so crazy about the beans in general, but I think it was actually my favorite part.
-Add as much Parmesan as you want. It's impossible to have too much. Also, only used fresh. It's way better than the dusty canned stuff.

This is a pretty hearty meal and it's simple to make. Perfect for rainy days or a quick family dinner.

Boner'ppetite.

5 comments:

The Sweetest said...

Sounds delish. If you can find northerns somewhere else, get them. you won't be sorry (sometimes they are called "navy" beans). They are more creamy and tender than cannelini beans.

aki! said...

I loved my baked pasta but I never use beans in anything I cook. I'll have to bookmark this for the future. Thanks.

Simone said...

yum. i could totally re-jigger with vegan ingredients.

Logical Libby said...

Made this tonight. Yum.

TILTE said...

SWEETEST - Yeah, I wasn't sure what was what in the bean dept. Good to know- thanks!

AKI - It's surprisingly easy to make. But it makes a large amount, so you might want to do it on a night that you have guests over.

SIMONE - Yeah, I think the only things that needs to be changed to make it vegan are the sausage and parmesan. My coworker has brought in some pretty tasty vegan sausage, so that should be easy. And since the parm taste is so mild, you can probably just omit altogether. Let me know if you try it.

LIBBY - Yaaaaaaay! Glad you tried it!

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena