4.12.2010

i won't be hanging out with brent for a while.



Today I was so busy doing God knows what (my blog.), that I completely lost track of time and didn't eat lunch. Luckily, I had some Gardetto's in my desk. And with the exception of all those GD rye chips, it really wasn't that bad.

Needless to say, I was STARVING by the time I got home from work. Since neither Keith nor I was interested in playing the always-a-hoot "What do you want for dinner?" "I dunno, what do you want for dinner?", I made the executive decision to go with Brent's Deli. Brent's has two locations- Westlake Village and Northridge. The Westlaker is the nicer, newer version, but the Northridger has more character like you'd probably run into Jerry Stiller or Joan Rivers. That's right. I said it.

One thing you should know about Brent's: Their portions are huge. Like seriously wasteful kind of huge. Keith and I ordered a plain (that's how we roll) ham and cheese sandwich to split with a side of fruit and two orders of steak fries.




The sandwich was meh. It wasn't horrible, but I've had better there. And the fries looked a little like they'd spent too much time in the tanning bed. Also not the best. I'm eating the fruit right now and it's actually pretty good- fresh and sweet. Not soggy and onion-tainted like some fruit selections. (Eating fruit at 10:30pm... I'm practically begging for coeur brulee...)

However, there is another item that I usually get that is always a good deal: French toast with a side of turkey bacon. I think that meal is around $9 and always fills the spot. Also, I have two friends who love the cabbage soup. Maybe try one of those two options to get a real appreciation for this place.

The upside to Brent's is that they have large servings. The downside is that it's kind of on the pricey side for what they're serving- which seems to be on par for deli's en generale- and the food is pretty bland. In tonight's case, bland was what I happened to be looking for. Pricey was not. Our split sandwich and two orders of fries came out to $21. And I just about threw a fit when none of the three hosts/ hostesses would acknowledge my presence, despite me being 12 inches away from them. That kind of stuff irritates me. I worked as a hostess loooong enough to know it's not really that hard to smile and say "Hi, I'll be right with you".

Overall, not my best experience with Brent's. Tonight would get 2 out of 5 chins. Next time, I'll stick with the french toast and turkey bacon. Turkey, you see, because I'm on a diet.

2 comments:

Bigger than Average Mom said...

by what the picture looks like, way too much ham and bread. my lockjaw (yeah i said it) wouldn't even allow me to take a first bite. the fruit looks sad - like it's been sitting in it's juices too long. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but in the photograph it doesn't interest me. But i'll have to trust you on the taste. $21.00??? For a shared meal??? Well, a food critic does have to pay for her job ;-)

BTW, can't wait for your next meal!

TILTE said...

that's the problem exactly- too much ham and bread. we always end up pulling out half the ham and throwing it away- so wasteful.

you should see some of their others sandwichs, like the pastrami. holy moly, that's a lot of meat.

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena