1.03.2013

Recipe: Jam Cookies.

Let me start off by saying I know this recipe should actually be called Jelly Cookies, but that didn't sound very appetizing. So I changed the name.

I was inspired to make these after trying some cookies at Eric's family's Christmas dinner. The host had little shortbread sandwiches with jam in the middle that were SO good. After learning they were Raspberry Galettes from Harry & David and realizing I'd have to wait 5 - 7 business days, I decided to mess around with my holiday cookie recipe for Sugared Cherry Jewels and see what I could come up with on my own. I figured it wouldn't be too far off and at the very least, I'd still get cookies.



JAM COOKIES

INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp almond extract
2.5 cups flour
Additional sugar, for coating
Raspberry jelly

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in corn syrup, egg yolks, and almond extract. Slowly add flour and until completely combined. Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for 60 minutes.

2. In a small bowl, use a fork or whisk to vigorously break up the jelly. Mix until it has a runny consistency, similar to egg yolk.

3. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in the additional sugar until coated. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Make a thumb-size indent on each cookie. Fill each indent with a teaspoon of jelly.

4. Bake at 325 F (162 C) for 14 - 16 minutes. Cookies will stay light colored.

5. Put nine cookies on a plate, eat them, and then pretend it never happened.



NOTE
-I used to make these cookies with a slight variation: Use vanilla extract instead of almond, and use upside down maraschino cherry halves instead of jelly. Both variations are tasty and festive.

-Next time, I think I may try cherry jelly. Almond and cherry are goooood partners in crime.

-These cookies taste like shortbread, but they're not nearly as dry or crunchy. Soft sugar cookie consistency with a shortbread taste. And jelly, which gives it that old-fashioned homemade touch. Just like the cookies Grandma used to make. Not my Grandma though, she didn't make these. I'm just assuming your Grandma did.

Boner'ppetit!



2 comments:

Erin said...

I love that it's Jan 3 and you're posting a cookie recipe. ;)

Adam said...

nice cookies

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena