11.13.2011

Semi-Homemade Cupcakes.

I originally had these cupcakes at my friend Rachel's birthday party for her one year old son. They were delicious.

And although I was tentative and skeptical at first because they're vegan (VEGAN??!?), I ended up fucking inhaling it in two seconds flat. And then I had another. Because I like even numbers.

Trader Joe's Vegan Cupcakes

CAKE INGREDIENTS
-Trader Joe's cake mix
-3 tbsp flax seed powder
-Canola oil
-9 tbsp water
-Almond Breeze Vanilla



DIRECTIONS:
-Combine flax seed and water until mixed. Set aside.



Follow cake directions, substituting flax seed mixture for eggs AND Almond Breeze for water. Bake according to package.



When cupcakes are done (Use a toothpick to check- if it comes out clean, it's done.), set aside to cool.



FROSTING INGREDIENTS
-Trader Joe's White Frosting Mix
-Canola Oil
-Almond Breeze
-Strawberries



DIRECTIONS
Follow directions according to package, substituting oil for butter AND Almond Breeze for water. Frost your cakes.



Top each cupcake with slices of fresh strawberry.



Eat it.

Worth Noting:
-Rachel used Trader Joe's Vanilla Bean cake mix; I used Golden Yellow cake mix. Both came out great, IMO.
-I noticed buttermilk was one of the ingredients in the cake mix. I'm not sure if that totally cancels out this whole "vegan" thing I have going on here.
-Do NOT omit the strawberry. It seriously makes the cupcake.
-I had some problems with my frosting. At first I thought it had too much oil, so I added some powdered sugar to soak it up. Then it was too clumpy. Boyfriend suggested adding more Almond Breeze. The combination of the extra Almond Breeze and several minutes with the electric mixer resulted in a perfect consistency.
-I LOVE these cupcakes. In fact, just posting these pictures has been making my mouth water. However, not everyone in my family was as impressed with them. My mom complained about tasting canola oil, my nephew Hogan grinned from ear-to-ear when he politely said "I hate it.", and a couple of other family members thought they tasted more like banana-nut bread or corn bread muffins. Just a heads up.
-You can also just make these totally non-vegan.

Boner'ppetite.

8 comments:

the Tsaritsa said...

Flax seeds in a cupcake? They look delicious, and from the list of ingredients they seem pretty healthy too. Mmmm.

Simone said...

yum. yum. yum. buttermilk isn't vegan but that's okay. some of us vegans tend to cheat... :)

MRanthrope said...

I have a few Vegan friends who would shat themselves with delight over this recipe. I'm sure they'll thank...and curse you.

Lorraine said...

The strawberry/icing combo looks so good. Healthy cupcakes, eh? Weird.

Fabrizia Spinelli said...

Fom these photos it seems really delicious!,! Nice post!

Enter the Shopkempt giveaway on my blog!
Please Follow me on Cosa mi metto???

Erin said...

I knew there was no way you were in a love with a vegan recipe. ;) Buttermilk makes cupcakes orgasmic.

Deborah said...

Mmmm! These look amazing!

Silvia Negretti said...

These cupcakes look delicious and healty!
Great recipe!
xx
S
http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena