6.06.2014

Recipe: Strawberry Shortcakes

I've been on a sweets kick for the past few weeks and I've been whipping up a storm in the kitchen. And by whipping up a storm, I mean I made these twice.

Strawberry shortcake is one of those desserts that's so light and fluffy, it's just too easy to demolish a whole bunch of them in the span of time it takes to watch one episode of Judge Judy. Speaking of Judge Judy, did you see the primetime special that was on a few weeks ago? Did you see when they were showing footage of her when she was, like, in her 50's pumping iron at the gym like she was about to try out for Mr Olympia? YOU GO, J.J.!



Classic Strawberry Shortcakes

Adapted from BettyCrocker.com

Ingredients

4 cups strawberries (or however many you want)
1/4 sugar (depends on the amount of strawberries)
2 1/3 Bisquick mix
1/2 cup milk
4 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp butter, melted
Heavy whipping cream
Sugar, as needed


Directions

1. Prep the strawberries several hours ahead- preferably a full day, if you have the time. Remove stems and slice. Top sliced berries with 1/2 cup sugar. Depending on how sweet and syrupy you want them to become, you may want to add more or less sugar. The syrup part is my favorite, so I tend to put like a shit ton of sugar on it.


With blueberries, too.

2. In a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients just until combined. The dough will be lumpy. On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6-8 spoonfuls, depending on how big you want them.





3. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.






4. In a small bowl, add a couple of teaspoons of sugar to the liquid cream. Start there and add more depending on how sweet you want your whipped cream. Beat whipping cream until it reaches desired consistency. I like mine a little more on the soft, foamy side. Note: there's a fine line between "it's perfect" and "it's butter," so pay careful attention once your cream starts puffing up.

The fine line has been crossed.

The crunchy shortcake with the strawberry syrup and cream- omg. These honestly take almost no effort to make and even less to eat. Now put them all together and kiss that diet goodbye.


1 comments:

tara said...

Haha you crack me up. "It's perfect" and "it's butter." So true.

I'm annoyingly picky about my shortcakes, but I'm with you on the syrupy strawberries. I just usually pile a ton of whipped cream and strawberries on top of the shortcake so it's no longer dry.

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena