4.14.2014

Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Yesterday morning, I woke up craving chicken tortilla soup. I'd never made it before, but I'd been thinking about it for a while.

I looked around at a few recipes and settled on one that seemed easy and had pictures that looked good. Which, if you read my blog regularly, is how I always make my best decisions.



Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients

1 lb shredded chicken
1 (15 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed and chopped
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
3/4 large onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 (10 oz) package frozen corn
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

Directions

1. Place all ingredients, from chicken to cilantro, in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hrs. It doesn't get much easier than that.



2. To make tortilla crisps: slice tortillas into strips. Fry in oil. Sprinkle with salt. Warning: these little guys can go from floppy to charred in no time, so make sure to keep an eye on them.



3. Serve with lime wedges, chopped avocado, cilantro, sour cream, cotija cheese, or whatever else strikes your fancy. 



This recipe gets a thumbs up from me, Eric, and my mom. And Mom usually has no problem telling me when my recipes suck. The only thing I'd try next time is to either use low-sodium broth or omit the salt. The soup was already plenty savory and I think the salt could be removed without affecting the overall flavor.


1 comments:

tara said...

Mmm this looks so good. My husband makes a really good chicken tortilla soup... I'll have to convince him to make some soon, thanks to this picture :)

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena