11.19.2012

Recipe: Sweet Potato Casserole.

Growing up, I never liked sweet potatoes. It was really only something we had on Thanksgiving, and even then I wasn't sold. Every year my mom would cook up these candied yam things and I'd be like "No, thanks. Pass anything except those slimy-looking orange blocks." So imagine my surprise when I discovered a version of sweet potatoes that I was not only willing to try, but that I actually love.

It was a lot of surprise.

This recipe comes from Eric's sister, Vicki. She makes these for Thanksgiving and you better believe I'm looking forward to doing some damage. T minus three days...



SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
2 cups mini marshmallows
Cooking spray

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375F (190C).

1. Place sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, approximately 15 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.

2. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla. Mash well with a potato masher (or use an electric mixer) until smooth. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans.



3. Pour mixture into an 11x7-inch baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.



Top with marshmallows. Bake until golden, approximately 25 minutes.



This recipe involves a buttery, rich, sweet, crunchy version of sweet potatoes. Not unlike pumpkin pie. While I can't guarantee everyone will love them, I can guarantee that I will. And that's just as good, if you ask me.

Boner'ppetite!


0 comments:

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena