6.08.2011

Estate Sale.

This past weekend we went to an estate sale. For those of you who've never been, it's basically like walking through someone else's home after they've died and you're rifling through all their prized possessions. Let me rephrase that- it's not LIKE you're rifling through someone's shit after they've died, you ARE rifling through their shit after they died. It's creepy as hell, but sometimes you can get some great finds.

A RAAAAD vintage typewriter. In mint green, no less. I wanted this for decor alone, but their prices were too extravagant for my sad wallet.


A weekend bag. Also perfect for pet items when going on a trip.


A scaryass bathroom. With a sign like that, on a door like that, you better believe I'm NOT going to enter.


A vintage Kitchenaid mixer. In working condition with the original manual. ONLY $20. It was a fucking steal if you ask me, but I already have a Kitchenaid mixer, brand new, that I've never used. (That's right, I mix everything by hand. That's why all my food turns out like shit.)


A "Wedding Night" negligee that can evoke both tears of sadness and tears of the night terror kind. Note the holes throughout the lace. Garter included.


A cool little vanity with mirror. Worth noting: my childhood bedroom had almost the exact same wallpaper. Ours had a touch more lime green in it.


A 7-piece vanity/ dresser set for $80...? Not worth it, IMO.


The pièce de résistance: A giant organ. ("I'll show you a giant organ!") Apparently, the patriarch of the house built this with his own two hands. He was in the process of changing it over from analogue to electric (or something), when he passed away. Sadz.


Remember that giant organ? This wall is filled with 70-something speakers that were connected to it. The owner must have blown the lid off the neighborhood when he felt like getting jiggy with it. I bet his neighbors loved it.


I didn't end up buying anything there. I could have made several purchases based on want alone, but I didn't see anything I actually needed. Maybe next time, estate sale... maybe next time.

19 comments:

Coyote Rose said...

I kinda of want that mint green typewriter, just to say that i own a mint green typewriter. I mean i could use it to write notes like a serial killer to people!

Erin said...

Craaazy. Also, super creepy. This reminds me so much of cleaning out my husband's grandmother's house after she passed away. So. Much. Stuff.

Anonymous said...

I've been curious enough to almost go to an estate sale or two, but chicken out at the last minute. It just weirds me out a bit. That typewriter would have been cool though!

Damon Peter Rallis said...

First of all, I LOVE estate sales. We go to them all the time and find a lots of WAY cool shit.

Second? That typewriter is DOPE. I saw one once at a thrift store once and ALMOST bought it. I regret that decision.

Finally? I need a man bag... a murse, if you will. In fact, the need for a murse is so strong that it is the very next thing I will be writing about (unless something totally hot and sexy happens to me in the next six hours).

Point is, that weekend bag?

It would make a great murse.

Just sayin'

Six

Ally said...

i love the mixer and that bag ... estate sales are such a peek into someone's private world of memories.

FourthGradeNothing.com

The Sweetest said...

We are in the process of trying to buy our first home. When I walk through these houses, I feel like I am at an estate sale. Bit I know if I was looking at the goods instead of the closet space, I'd find something unexpected among the cluttered filth.

Carrie said...

Estate Sales are the best! I totally would have bought that KitchenAid because I want one and I can't seem to bring myself to spend 250 bucks on it until I start some serious baking. I think I just want one to say I have one so I can be cool, too.

P.S. I found your blog through Where We Love is Home (Joelle my real life BFF) and think you're awesome! I live in Westlake Village, so I've had some similar foodie experiences at the places ( a.k.a the Counter OMFG I die) and definitely want to try some of the places you've mentioned - so thanks! =)

the Tsaritsa said...

Wow! Talk about a wall of sound!

Estate sales are my jam, and yeah it can be kind of creepy when you realize that necklace you're trying on was worn by a lady who is now dead.

Alli said...

I always thought "estate sale" was a fancy way of saying garage sale. Ya learn something new every day! Great photos!

Twisted Susan said...

Estate sales can be a little creepy but everybody dies, why not buy their stuff?

Logical Libby said...

Was this Norman Bates' estate?

Veronica M. D. said...

UGH. I want that typewriter. Good find!

Sara Louise said...

That was a super creepy estate sale (except for the kitchen aid mixer)

Deborah said...

I LOVE estate sales. But they are definite creepy.

But I would have snatched up that typewriter! Love that sheeiiite.

Jess said...

I have never been to an estate sale, but want to go so bad! Those speakers are super creepy by the way!

Simone said...

eerie.

Crying is the New Croquet said...

Damn, they wanted top dollar but I'm surprised they had some good stuff in my 'hood.

Also, I'm thinking I might need a sign like that for my bathroom.

MRanthrope said...

It's like scavenging...but for bargains...so it's cool then! haha.

They had one of those when my GF's neighbor died. I walked through just to check it out but yeah, old people furniture isn't my thing.

TILTE said...

HANNAH - yeah, you need to give yourself a pep talk before you head into one of these things. it's not for the faint of heart. one time, i went to a house that had a whole bedroom filled with dolls. creeeeeep-city.

MONKEY - i actually already own an old weekend bag just like the one above. i always see them at the thrift stores in the luggage section. you should check them out.

ALLY - yes! i'm still kicking myself over the mixer and the typewriter. it really is weird to go through someone else's memories.

CARRIE - thank you so much! i'm pretty new to joelle's site, but i love it. you two are the only other bloggers i know of in the area.

ALLI - you usually get much better finds at an estate sale, IMO. depending on who's running the sale, sometimes they ask for top dollar. but sometimes you can get really cool stuff for super cheap. it's a 50/50 chance.

LIBBY - they're ALL like that. this wasn't an especially creepy house.

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena