5.25.2010

Attempt at Cooking: Part Deux

Welcome back, friends- I'm still alive! This weekend was a tribute to meeting new people, going new places and trying new recipes. Essiting, isn't it?!?!

Friday night was my mashup with Junks from Junket Juice. Keith was worried Junks was really a super creepy pervo in disguise and wanted me to call him every 5 min on the way to her place. I'm 95% sure he was trying to scare me because last weekend I convinced him that even though he *thought* he was going to meet up with his old mate from school in Newcastle, he was in fact meeting up with three dudes for a gay excursion.

I digress.

So I got to Junks place and- shock and awe- she was a totally normal, non-creepy girl! We said our hellos and the fact that we've only been friends on the 'net and this was the first time we were actually meeting in person was like no biggie. By the time I got there, I had to use the bathroom (despite Keith's advice to avoid entering the premises) and thank God I did or else I wouldn't have met this little Love Machine:

Long story short, Junks and I went to see Tristen Prettyman perform in Venice. Junks had heard that the venue didn't have a liquor license and that it was BYOB. Well, being the classy dames we are, we showed up with a few of these:

(all the essentials for a celebloggers night on the town.)

Highlight of the night (that should say lowlight of the night): Not because she was wearing a ragged old slip as a dress. Not because she was also wearing hideous cliche emo hipster pumps from Payless circa 1994. But because of the distasteful haircut that looked uncomfortably similar to those of the Auschwitz survivors. Allow me to introduce you to... girl-standing-in-front-of-us-all-night-who-gives-dirty-looks-to-anyone-who-passes-by-her.

(Maybe if you double-click you can really appreciate the short buzz avec mullet drape for added effect. :::barf:::)

Saturday I took full advantage of Keith's newly acquired willingness to try new/ different foods and decided to cook dinner. COOK DINNER, YO. Did you see what I said? Things usually go downhill at olympic speed when I attempt a feat like this, so there was a lot of weight on my shoulders.

I went with a recipe I'd tried once before, Easy Chicken and Potatoes (Pay no attention to the veneers, flabby belly and chicken wings on the righthand side of the page. They're kind of unappetizing.). Although last time it hadn't turned out according to plan, I knew it was something that, if done correctly, Keith would like.


Well, someone in the Heavens must have been looking down on me that day (*Bea Arthur*), because my dinner came out great! This recipe is REALLY easy, even for a novice meal-hijacker like myself. I will definitely keep this in my cookbook (stack of printed out recipes crammed in a cupboard) for future reference. For anyone else who is interested in trying it out, I would just up the seasoning and Parmesan cheese.. and maybe even the Italian dressing. This meal has a great flavor, it just needs more of it.

Also, if you have a badass crockpot like this, it totally helps:

(Disclaimer: I do NOT watch Nascar, nor do I endorse Bobby Labonte. This was merely a joke wedding gift that was way too kitsch to part ways with.)

Sunday morning, we got up bright and early to visit the Beverly Hills Farmers Market. Now, maybe I was just expecting more than what it really is, especially from BevHills, but I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the market. If you click on that link and see the picture of all the vendors, that's it. That's pretty much all the vendors that are actually there. And I think maybe I was hoping for more ready made food that I could go hog wild with. Also, if you go to that page, you'll see little kids with their faces ear deep in pie. I.wanted.to.be.one.of.those.kids. It was mostly produce and flowers, with a panini or crepe stall here and there. I know, it's a farmers market, not a food court. I can't help it if my mouth was all hungry for sloppy, greasy food and all they had was cabbage and strawberries. Rest assured, I will not make this mistake again.

Anyway, here are a couple of highlights:

Some kid getting ready to battle a cow.


Me and my flowers.

All in all, it was a great weekend. And I even have some nice flowers on the dining room table to show for it.

10 comments:

Bigger than Average Mom said...

it sounds like a fun-filled week for you and keith. i have a suggestion for meals... breakfast pizza and.... the salmon that you used to make at mom's. i still make both at home. made the breakfast pizza to take to leslie's house about a month ago or even longer. anyways, all the kids lapped it up.

TILTE said...

i totally forgot about the breakfast pizza. i made it once for keith and of course he didn't like it. but that was before he made the life altering decision to start appreciating my hard work. i will have to try it again.

i still like the salmon recipe but there's NO way keith will try that and it's a waste to make a full dinner just for myself. maybe i'll try it out the next time we have people over.

thanks for the suggestions!

Junket said...

I love the purse picture. We are two classy babes. The funny thing was that I was looking at my feedly reader and there was a picture of the beagle and I was completely confused for three seconds. I thought he started his own blog in his spare tire...re...time.

Thanks again for going with me! You helped me cross something off my bucket list!! I'm also going to suggest the Santa Monica Farmer's Market. Let's go!!

TILTE said...

Ridley is using this post to test the blog waters. if he gets a good response, he's starting his own.

RN Mama said...

That girl standing up pisses me off, and I didn't even need to click on the picture to see the disgusting hair-do! Ugh, she gives short-haired girls a bad name!

So, this "Junks" that you met, did you meet her through blogging? I'm curious, because I have a blog friend here in Michigan that I've known for over a year, and I want to meet her...but, I'm afraid it will be wierd!

TILTE said...

RN: you would have been livid if you had seen it in real life. the pic doesn't even capture the true ugliness.

yes, Junks and i only knew each other through blogging. i totally get your concern about thinking things will be weird if you plan on meeting your blog friend. i was worried about that too. but honestly, what do you lose by meeting in person? i mean if you meet and end up thinking it's weird, chances are she will think it's weird too... so then you just go back to being blog friends.

plus, it's more fun living dangerously. :)

Unknown said...

Hair girl looks like Carol Brady on crack. And how dare she give the stink eye to other people when she was such a hot mess. I hope you gave her a fashion citation.

Deborah said...

I LOVE the Payless Shoe reference. I know the shoes you are talking about! I do believe my daughter had a pair of those when she was going through her dark and discontented phase. God those shoes were fugly.

You, however, are so funny you make my head ache. That's good btw.

I love your flower vase too.

TILTE said...

wombat- there was no way i was going to give her a fashion citation because i'm pretty sure she would have put me in a life citation.

debs- i'm glad you know which shoes i'm talking about. they were hideous and stupid and cliche and stupid. AND they looked like giant foot-boats. like the way the shoes looks on the characters at Disneyland. you know what i'm talking about...

and thanks for all the compliments. you know the way to my heart. :)

btw- that vase is a really good pommartini mix available at Cost Plus World Market. they also sell pom sugar crystals for the edge of your glass.

Anonymous said...

OK, so that crock pot is hilarious!!

© Things I Like to Eat (...and Other Nonsense), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena